Unlike our gap and winter programs in Cuba, our summer voyages allow us to return to Maine and to tailor float plans that reflect the Ocean Passages commitment to positive social change close to home.
This summer, in partnership with a local charter school called Baxter Academy for Technology and Science, we run a two-week sailing voyage on the Gulf Coast of Maine. Aboard our 131-foot schooner, you'll learn as much about teamwork as navigation.
This Science and Sea program focuses on sustainable fisheries, exploring our region’s interdependent saltwater ecology and economy. In addition to field studies, the students will meet with professionals working with lobster, salmon, seaweed and oyster farms along the Maine coast. Students will work alongside a Baxter science instructor and earn academic credit for their research.
- The summer program begins on July 7, 2018 in Portland, Maine.
- The two-week voyage ends on July 21, 2018 at Portland Yacht Services: 100 W Commercial Street in Portland.
- A maximum of 20 students will live aboard the Harvey Gamage for the duration of the program, along with a professional crew of nine.
- The program is open to high school students age 15-19.
- Sailing experience is not required.
- The tuition is $2,450, including all meals, lodging and general trip supplies. Scholarships are available.
- All students and their parents and/or legal guardians must sign our Code of Conduct Agreement. This Code explains grounds for dismissal, including a zero-tolerance policy for social violations, drugs, tobacco and/or alcohol.
- Prior to arrival, students receive an informational packet with detailed packing instructions, ship policies and other practical guidelines.
- Students provide their own personal clothing, footwear and foul-weather gear.